01 January 2018

Getting ready to leave to Finland.



I am leaving to Finland a week from now. Exited? Yes.
What do I experience?  I love the unexpected.  Finland is familiar to me but the University of Helsinki, my host, is not.  Do I have freedom to explore my interests or do I have to follow my advisors vision of my journey?  My original mentor at the University was changed and I have not had any formal discussions with my new mentor, Dr. Kalle Juuti, yet.


I am ready but I feel guilty leaving my grandson Miles behind.  My daughter’s family lives with us and I see them every day.  Miles is very attached to me and spends a lot of time with me, especially on weekends and evenings after my teaching has ended.  I speak Finnish to him all the time.  It’s so funny that my brain switches to Finnish immediately I see him.  He is incredible.  He understands everything I say in Finnish, sometimes I think even better than English.  

My suitcases are almost packed.  I need two of them, one for winter clothes and another one for spring and summer clothes.  I expect to pay extra for the second suitcase.  

Today I colored my hair for the last time, I hope.  I keep hoping that I look little younger with my medium blond hair.  I have been blond all my life but because of the aging process, the hair turned gray 8 years ago.  I feel little embarrassed to go to Finland at my age of 67 to work.  Most of the people there retire at the age of 62 and the mandatory retirement age is 68.