18 May 2018

Defending a Doctoral Thesis in Mathematics

Thesis defense events are open to general audience and they can be boring if you don’t understand the topic.  That’s what happened to me today when my "Fulbright Buddy" Pirkko invited me to attend the thesis defense event at the Aalto University in Espoo for her nephew. 

The title of his defense was “Generalized Solutions to the Porous Medium Equation”. 
Page from the Thesis
At the beginning, everyone received a 140-page report that was full of equations.  It was written in English.  I glanced the book and at that moment I was thinking, what did I agree to do!  Exactly at 12.10 three people in black suits walked in and everyone in the audience stood up.  One person of course was the thesis defender Pekka Lehtelä, one was the opponent from Madrid Spain, professor Matteo Bonforte, and the third one was the advisor, professor Juha Kinnunen.



The defender gave a half an hour talk about his findings. This was in Finnish.  He introduced the equations and I had no clue what he was talking about.  Next, the opponent talked his theory on the Medium Equations in English.  This time I understood few ideas, Einstein’s Theory of Relativity, Heat, Energy, and Density.  Hmm… interesting, kind of.  The next hour must have been cruelling to the defender.  The opponent took the theses write-up and asked questions on almost every page of the thesis. Pekka had to explain, explain and explain, page after page. Even I did not understand anything, I knew he was doing a good job because his advisor was nodding and smiling all the time. 
Pekka giving his Talk


Opponent Giving His talk


The event ended after the opponent reflected on the thesis for about 15 more minutes.  Pekka got high remarks and passed the exam with flying colors.  Congratulations Pekka for your PhD!  The three role players walked out of the room. Coffee and cake was served to everyone.  This was different what I remember 40 years ago when I attended a thesis defense in Finland.  Once the debate was over, bottles of champagne and cognac were opened and alcohol flowed freely among the guests.  Times have changed.

I was later invited to the home of the mother to celebrate this special occasion. Lovely barbecue and nice warm weather.  I interviewed Pekka and he told me that he can continue his research at the Aalto University through the summer.  Then he will take a break and later search for a job. I got the impression that there was no hurry.  He had no interest in continuing his research abroad.  He spent a year studying in Korea and was in no rush to travel.  Finland was the place to stay.
The backyard of the mother of the new Doctor. 


New Doctor!